Working to create jobs and strengthen our local economy
To continue growing our local economy, we need a leader with a proven record of fighting for the families of greater Detroit and getting the job done – a leader like Gary Peters. In Congress, Gary led the fight to save our auto industry, worked to expand small business lending to spur new job creation, and he’s always stood up to Tea Party proposals to gut the social safety net for families facing tough times. In these tough economic times, it doesn’t matter what you say, it matters what you do – and as our Congressman, Gary Peters has always delivered real results.
Fighting for Detroit’s Auto Industry and Manufacturing Jobs:
- Standing with President Obama to save our auto industry: When many in Washington wanted to “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt,” Gary Peters worked with President Obama to ensure that our auto makers received the loans they needed to survive. Because of this work, the Big Three aren’t just surviving, they are growing at a record pace and creating thousands of good paying manufacturing jobs in our community.
- Fighting Republican attacks on Michigan Manufacturing: In late 2011, Republican Speaker John Boehner tried to slash over $1 billion from the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Loan Program (ATVM). Because the ATVM created or saved 41,000 auto manufacturing jobs and brought production of the Ford Focus from Mexico to Wayne County, Gary Peters stood up and said no to the Republicans. By uniting and leading a coalition of over 100 Democrats in Congress, Gary Peters turned the tables on the Republican Majority and handed John Boehner his first major defeat on the floor of the House since he became Speaker.
- Making sure Detroit will always be the Motor City: Detroit is and always will be the Motor City, so when President Obama announced a proposal to launch 15 new Institutes of Manufacturing Innovation, Gary Peters immediately called for the creation of a Detroit Auto Institute. By working to build this kind of public-private partnership, we’ll ensure that new auto technologies and innovations are developed and manufactured right here. To get the job done, Congressman Peters is working with area stakeholders, educators and leaders in Washington to persuade President Obama to make a major investment in the Motor City.
- Investing in Michigan’s Manufacturing: Peters worked to pass improvements to the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) – a successful program that helps small manufacturing companies gain new skills and access new markets. Peters’ bill lowered the state’s matching requirements for the program, helping hard hit states like Michigan continue to utilize MEP to grow its manufacturing sector and create new jobs.
Getting Unemployed Michiganders Back on Their Feet:
- Fighting Republican Efforts to slash Unemployment Insurance Benefits: In Washington and in Lansing, Republicans are working to cut unemployment benefits for hardworking Michiganders that lost their jobs through no fault of their own, but Gary Peters has been fighting back. Unemployment benefits are a critical lifeline that keeps families facing tough times from falling into poverty and economists have clearly demonstrated that it’s also one of the most effective ways to spur economic growth. That’s why Gary Peters has always voted to protect unemployment benefits from Tea Party cuts and will never turn his back on out of work Michiganders.
- Rallying diverse leaders to fight for Unemployment Benefits Extension: Earlier this year when Republicans attempted to cut 20 weeks of federal unemployment benefits, Gary Peters organized a diverse group of leaders to stand united and fight back. By opposing these cuts and bringing a team together, Peters earned the support of the Chairs of the Congressional Black Caucus, Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, Congressional Progressive Caucus and the New Democrat Coalition. To get things done in Washington, you must be able to bring people together and Gary Peters gets it done.
- Working with President Obama to lower unemployment: As one of his first acts in Congress, Gary Peters voted for President Obama’s landmark Recovery Act that was responsible for saving or creating thousands of jobs in Michigan. By making important investments in our nation’s infrastructure and schools, this bill helped protect our local economy during a time of serious crisis, but there is still a lot of work left to be done. Today, Peters is continuing to work with President Obama to grow Michigan’s economy and create new jobs by fighting for a new transportation bill to invest in our roads, bridges and mass transit system.
Helping Small Businesses Expand and Create Local Jobs:
- Connecting Small Businesses with needed capital during tough times: Small businesses create two out of every three new jobs, so when greed on Wall Street caused a credit crunch for small business owners on Main Street, Gary Peters got to work and delivered. In 2010, Peters helped write and pass the Small Business Jobs Act to help credit unions and community banks make loans to help small businesses grow and create jobs. Because Peters helped write this bill, he made sure that it helped states with high unemployment levels like Michigan first. As a result, 3,300 new jobs have been created across our state and more are on the way.
- Fighting for Michigan’s Small Businesses First: In addition to providing millions in new funds for small business lending. The Small Business Jobs Act also made a number of improvements to existing Small Business Administration (SBA) loan programs that benefited Michigan businesses. In fact, Michigan led the nation in SBA lending in 2011 – the first year after the new law was signed.